Monday, June 20, 2011

godless chatter.

I have a very good friend who knocks me to the ground in truth, shoving my insecurities in my face but grabs my hand, and holds on tight, in bringing me right back to my feet. Through this, I have been shown my sin of godless chatter. Thus, I've recognized it more in myself and in those I surround myself with. I've seen it happen among 'friends' when one walks out of the room. I've seen it happen among the same friends when one walks out and in comes another. I've seen it between a mother and a daughter, a sister and a brother.

Believe me, I'm just as guilty. What's so bothersome about it is 1) knowing God is witness to this all the time and 2) who am I to think I'm not the target when I walk out of the room?! (this may be a poor incentive to act on this insecurity).

I think it's really easy for us, I speak for myself, to base relationships off quantity of information, definitely not quality. When we feel fully 'filled in' we are more secure in our relationships. But, take out that information and all that's left is a level of trust to be pursued...which is unheard of these days?

I'm just really uncomfortable when I witness relationships that solely exist, are defined by, godless chatter. I know I have relationships such as these. This recognition slightly freaks me out because I wonder if they would even exist if this aspect were to be taken out?

This forces me into some deep self reflection on the depth of my relationships. I've recently learned (thank you Bonhoeffer) that in order to access people, I have to first access God. I have to go through him. That is, if I want my relationships, life, founded on Christ. I mean...I do. Duh. That means prayer. That means spending more time talking to God about other people, instead of talking to other people about other people.

I don't have the answers. I could focus on what NOT to do all the time, but that sets me up for failure. Instead, I'll strive to focus on the ONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment